The 18th century was a time of change. Christ Church, which had existed for hundreds of years on this Wine Street/Broad Street corner, was demolished and a new church built on the site to William Paty's design.
The nearby church of St Hoyan or Ewen in Corn Street had been closed, (it was pulled down in 1820 for the Council House) so that dedication was combined with it. Hence the rather clumsy title of Christ Church with St Ewen. A great ball at the nearby White Lion Hotel celebrated its opening in 1791. The interior of the church has a particularly fine gilded ceiling. The organ was recently rebuilt.
The brightly coloured Quarter Jacks are a survival from the original church. Every quarter hour the figures swing their little hammers, striking the bells an appropriate number of times. The Quarter Jacks of Christ Church still ring out the quarter hour. Carved in 1728, the Jacks were made for the medieval church of Holy Trinity which stood on this site. It was demolished in 1786 to widen Broad Street.
The Jacks vanished, but were found years later in a builderâ€™s yard in Bath. They were returned to the new church, completed in 1791.