View of The footbridge over the Cut Cumberland Road (date not known) - The engineer William Jessop was invited to survey the situation in 1801; his plan was accepted, and construction of the New Cut began on 1 May 1804. Effectively, the Avon was to be diverted south of the city, between Totterdown in the east and Rownham Ferry in the west, thereby taking the tidal flow of the river. In order to maintain the high water level of the newly flooded harbour - which then became known as the Floating Harbour - two locks were to be installed, one on the freshly dug Cumberland Basin in the Hotwells area (to the west), and the other on the Bathurst Basin, in the more easterly Bedminster area. There would also be the Feeder Canal connecting the Floating Harbour to the Avon further upstream.
Loading...