Archaeologists from Bristol at work on the escape and supply tunnel that connected Bristol Castle with the harbour it can still be seen from the modern-day Castle Park area. The castle was demolished in 1656, according to Millerd's map of Bristol. However one octagonal tower survived until it was torn down in 1927. It was sketched by Samuel Loxton in 1907. There are some remains of the banqueting hall incorporated in an existing building. The castle moat was covered over in 1847 but still exists and is mainly navigable by boat, flowing under Castle Park and into the Floating Harbour. The western section is a dry ditch and a sally port into the moat survives near St Peter's Church.